Saturday, November 20, 2010

Normal Parenting Stuff Is Hard Too!

I spoke with Dr. Cummings nurse to let her know to be expecting to get records requests and FMLA papers from my work and the disability insurance company. She said that although I had not officially been told to take off work yet that Dr Cummings feels I made a wise decision and that we are doing the right thing. That made me feel a little better about being off. She said it is just a matter of time before being off is no longer a choice and it is better to do it now when we can plan vs later when it becomes an emergency. I can remember at first being really frustrated with his office staff but I have grown to really like them. The nurse has been really helpful.

We went to Carly's Thanksgiving lunch at school yesterday. I was supposed to have to work and wasn't going to be able to go. Carly was so excited that I made it. She is thrilled that I am off work. There is this little girl in her class that wants to be her friend so bad. The little girl is new to the school and doesn't have any friends. The problem is that the little girl is not very nice. She also has very little respect for boundaries. She has stolen food out of Carly's lunch when she wasn't looking. I really want my kids to be nice and I have encouraged Carly to try to include this little girl and to understand that she is trying to fit in. Carly flat out does not want to be her friend. Carly is a sweet kid who happily includes Ashley who has Down's Syndrome and Caleb who is autistic in everything she does. So where do I draw the line and honor my child's choices for friends? Maybe the new little girl is really not a nice kid and Carly knows that and doesn't want to be a part of it? I am very conflicted about how to handle the situation. So after witnessing the girls' behavior yesterday I changed to telling Carly to be nice and speak nice words but that she does not have to be her friend and include her in everything. I hope I am doing the right thing. Sometimes the simplest parenting things can be so hard.... BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

1 comment:

  1. I think it shows great character and maturity that she has made the choice not to consider this girl a friend if she is truly uncomfortable with her behavior. Keep up the great work, Mom!

    ReplyDelete