Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tegretol

Anna had another seizure today and this one was worse. It lasted about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. She slept for about 1.5 hrs afterwards. I got in touch with the neuro's office and I was glad I did because Dr. Hernandez is leaving tonight and will be gone for 2 weeks. They said the first option would be to put her inpatient in the EMU (Epilepsy monitoring Unit) at Cook's and try to catch something on EEG. Her one from the other day was preliminarily read as normal. The problem with going to the EMU is that Dr. H will be gone and we would have to start over with another neuro in the group and I just don't want to start over. This is already our second neuro since our first one went back to teaching and I just don't want to have a third. The end result of the EMU stay would ultimately be medication. The second option was to go ahead and start medication and see how it goes. I chose the second option. If things are not better within the two week period which will give her enough time to get a good blood level of meds then we will do the EMU. The EEG that was normal basically amounts to, well, nothing. It means that during that 30 minutes there was not any seizure activity. The purpose of the EEG is not to see if there are seizures or not because that comes mostly from history but it can tell them where the problem is originating so that the best medication can be chosen (from what I understand). Anna started tonight on Tegretol. I am praying this will be the medication for her. I have so much more to say but again I am exhausted and running on fumes so I think I better go to bed. I took off work tomorrow because I just didn't feel I could start Anna on this new med and then go to work. I'll try to get rejuvenated and tell you how I feel about all of this tomorrow. Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers during this time. Keep them coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment