Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What's Your Trick?

I thought there must be a full moon since the past two days at work were psycho at best. I was wrong. People are just crazy and it doesn't even matter what the moon is doing. The ICU I work in has 20 beds and currently 4 of those 20 are taken up with drug overdoses. One if them is a paranoid schizophrenic who overdosed on meth- he just thought he was paranoid before. Anyway, I am off until Sunday except for an ACLS class on Friday and I am so glad. I need a break from the chaos up there!

Please continue to keep my brother in law in your prayers. He is still serving in Iraq and will hopefully be coming home in the next week or two. He was about to go to the mess tent to eat dinner when he heard some strange noises and then "incoming" and then an explosion. The mess tent was destroyed but luckily it was about 15 minutes before dinner so only a few people were in there. I think that if you turn off the news it becomes easy to forget that we are still at war. Whether or not you support the war doesn't really matter. These men and women have families who love them and want them to come home. I hope Anthony's homecoming is soon! I know my sister and her kids are more than ready also!

We have been tube feeding Anna during the day and it is going well so far. I did a trial run at church last Sunday. I dropped her off in the nursery and then went to Sunday School. I was able to check on her between Sunday School and church and then went to church and picked her up afterwards. They give you a pager so if they need you to come get your kid during church they just page you. It made me feel safer to have the pager and to know I was only seconds away from Anna if they needed me. But they didn't need me and I was so happy! Anna is still not thrilled about wearing the backpack but she tolerates it. She had it on the other day at Wal-Mart and this man kept saying, "I can't believe you make her carry all of your stuff...You should get a purse..." He thought he was funny. I laughed and tried to humor him. Then he kept saying it. I kept laughing and then on the 4th or 5th time I had finally had enough. I nicely told him that she has a feeding tube and that backpack holds her pump and food. He was mortified. I tried not to take it to that level but he just kept pushing me. He then said, "Oh ma'am, I am so sorry. Will she be ok?" I told him it was all fine and that she is and will be fine. He walked away with his head down. I could tell he felt bad. I did not intend to make him feel bad but I could only put up with the joking so many times. I do not want people to feel bad for asking- I am all about educating. But for goodness sakes, just ask . I am thinking about getting the backpack embroidered with her name on it to make it cuter, or maybe I'll just have it say, "I can eat, walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time, what's you trick?"

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. You did the right thing. I had some woman start interrogating Charlie at the grocery store about Santa Claus and I just told her he didn't come to our house (he doesn't). Should have just let her keep talking until it finally clicked that there was something "wrong" with him. Sigh. Other people are stupid and we end up feeling bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for your brother in law. Please thank him for his service and you're right, I think people are quick to forget that there is still a war going on and men and women are putting their lives on the line daily for our freedom. Keep us posted on his homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the backpack. That is a great way to continue feeding while going about your day. My husband was in Iraq, and even I would forget about the danger possibilities until he would tell me about a close rocket hit.

    ReplyDelete