Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Slap In The Face



Kenzie and Carly


Finally braving the slide


Anna and her sweet cousin Kacy


Anna has had enough of the sun



I think we will spend about 99% of the summer in the pool. The kids love it and I do too. I love it for the fun they have and I love it for the quality of sleep it produces in them afterwards! I think I lost my mind on Saturday because I took 5 kids swimming by myself. They were all well behaved though and it went much better than I expected. Anna didn't last real long though- she gets cold so easily and then is ready to get out. I think she needs a wet suit but I don't know if they make them as small as she is. I had a house full of kids most of the week last week- day and night. I just love having them all here. I wanted a bigger family but since it just isn't in the cards for us I will just enjoy everybody else's kids instead.

I had a really emotional day at work today. It wasn't that the patients were particularly sick it was that my eyes were really opened to the way people feel about people with disabilities. We have a young patient with cerebral palsy who was admitted with pneumonia. He is sick enough to be in ICU but no where near death's door. He has a fiance that stays with him most of the time. I heard comments from my coworkers today like "why is she with him" and "we can't fix him." My heart broke. I politely explained to them as matter of factly as I could that he is a person worthy of love. I said that even though Anna is 2 and cute right now she will grow up and she will STILL have cerebral palsy and she will still be just as worthy of love then as she is now. As far as the "we can't fix him" comment I politely reminded them that he didn't come in asking us to fix his CP. He was admitted for pneumonia and that yes, we can fix that and in fact he is young and probably likes his life and is not ready to give up and die like they think he should and that there are far worse things in life than CP- things like being narrow minded and ignorant. These are the people who supposedly accept my daughter like she is, but obviously they don't. They see disabled people as damaged goods. It was a huge slap in the face. Then after my statements to them I got looks of pity and that just made it worse. Our lives are not something to be pitied. We are happy people who are likely living far richer lives than those who cannot see past the tip of their nose which they are looking down on us from. Let me clarify- this was not the majority of the people I work with, mainly just 2, but 2 that had really acted as if they cared. Oh well, I guess better to know now than later who they really are.


In other interesting news...I was looking up some different doctors on the Texas Medical Board website today because they seem sketchy and I wanted to see if there was anything pertinent about them on that website. In doing so I looked up the family practice doctor who cared for me during my pregnancy. His record is clean and I was not really all that surprised. I do not think he is a bad doctor I just think he got in over his head. During my pregnancy and hospitalization he "consulted" with his wife though who is an ob/gyn. She never was officially consulted but they supposedly discussed my case and she sometimes covered for him and therefore rounded on me. I think he trusted her opinion on what to do or not do with me when he wasn't quite sure. So anyway, in my search I found this about her. Hmmm, perhaps not the best choice for a consultant huh?

"ON AUGUST 21, 2009, THE BOARD AND DR. K ENTERED INTO AN AGREED ORDER REQUIRING THAT WITHIN ONE YEAR SHE OBTAIN EIGHT TO 10 HOURS OF CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION IN OBSTETRIC ULTRASOUND OR FETAL MONITORING; 10 HOURS IN HIGH-RISK OBSTETRICS AND 10 HOURS IN MEDICAL RECORDKEEPING. THE ACTION WAS BASED ON DR. K'S FAILURE TO MEETING THE STANDARD OF CARE OF A PATIENT AND HER BABY DURING FINAL STAGES OF LABOR IN NOT RECOGNIZING THE SEVERITY OF FETAL DISTRESS AND NOT TIMELY ADDRESSING FETAL STRIP ABNORMALITIES."

No comments:

Post a Comment