Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Dreaded Shots




EI came out today. They were so pleased with Anna's progress. I had cancelled her last appointment because it was on the same day she got tubes in her ears so they had not seen her in awhile. They were so proud to see her up walking and actually with a little hair on her head. Our next step is to work on communication. They still think she is a bit behind but since she probably couldn't hear through all of that crap in her ears that is not unexpected. The bad news- to get her to make more noise we are supposed to only give her a pacifier when she is going to sleep. That may not be so easy but I am willing to give it a try. I have to pick Carly up from school in a little bit and take her to ballet. She does not know we will be making a pit stop to get her flu shot and second Hep A shot. I am not looking forward to it and I am sure when she figures it out she won't be either. She cracked me up the other day- she told Kenneth that DeeDee (her stuffed dog) was very tired because she didn't get any sleep because of Kenneth's snoring. Score 1 for Carly!! Yesterday was a sad day at work- there was a relatively young woman whose death was imminent- we had already coded her a few times and her life was nearing its end. She has 2 sons, 16 & 18 years old who have no father and no other real support system. The mother had lost her job and subsequently her home. She and her sons were living in a motel paid for by their church. The boys know who their fathers are but their fathers have never been in their lives. These boys were awesome- honor students with college scholarships who attend school full time and work 30+ hours a week. Since the 18 year old was the "next of kin" he had to make all of the decisions regarding his mother's medical care. I cannot imagine being 18 and trying to decide whether to take my mom off of the ventilator and let her go and then knowing I would be left with a brother to care for with no money, no home, etc. My heart broke for those poor boys. I just wanted to bring them home with me. If you are the praying type please include these boys in your prayers, they're going to need them. Well, off to gets the shots. Wish me luck!!!
P.S. 1. The patient died shortly after my shift ended yesterday. 2. Carly needs 5 additional shots, grrrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment