Monday, March 14, 2011

NICU Inmate #26037 Finally Escaped



It finally happened. The girls got to meet their brother and he got to come home. Yesterday was day 18 of the NICU and I am so proud to say it was our last. He did great on our "rooming in" night and passed his car seat test without any difficulties. We were home by noon yesterday. Things have gone quite well so far and although we are not far into it, I must say that the adjustment from 2 to 3 is much easier than it was from 1 to 2. I know, it's early though and that may change. The girls are crazy about their brother and fight over whose turn it is to hold him next. Carly is great about helping feed him and hold him when I need to do other things and Anna is certain she should constantly be shoving his pacifier in his mouth because he should no doubt be as crazy about his as she is about hers. Kenneth and I are doing well also. We had a "division of labor" talk before Gabe came home and it is working out well. Since Anna doesn't sleep through the night he is taking care of her at night (and Carly but she is a good sleeper) and I am taking care of Gabe since I am breastfeeding. So far so good. Gabe is eating much better and it is so nice to feed him and not feel like we are being tested at each feed like it felt in the NICU. I am tired but I have been chronically tired since Anna's birth so this is really no different than our norm. It is crazy though to have to set an alarm to wake up and feed Gabe since he rarely wakes to eat. This is so different from the girls. I like it though- no complaining here. I hope he is always as good of a sleeper as he is now. I could go on forever but I am going to take my own advice and take care of myself and go to bed while I can. Thank you again so much for all of the thoughts and prayers that have been sent up on our behalf. Miracles are still happening!

1 comment: