Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How 1 Procedure Turns Into 2

Before The Mud Pies Got Messy

Anna's appointment with the surgeon, Dr. Black, was today. I went there with an open mind and a lot of questions. He was able to answer them all and I was satisfied. He went back and looked at all of the tests and scans she has had so far. After talking about them he decided she not only needs the Nissen Fundoplication but also a pyloroplasty. The pyloroplasty is where they cut the pyloric muscle and then resuture it causing it to relax. This widens the opening from the stomach to the small intestine and allows the stomach to empty faster. The Nissen in kids with delayed gastric emptying can make the child worse if the pyloroplasty is not done at the same time. I have not scheduled all of this yet but Kenneth and I have decided it is the right thing to do. She will be in the hospital for 2-3 days. Dr. Black says he prefers to do these as an open procedure vs laparascopic and I am ok with that. Apparently there seem to be less complications with the open surgeries. Her incision will be about 2 inches long in the center/left center of her chest/stomach area. I have a lot of confidence in Dr. Black and if he and Dr. Ogunmola and Dr. Goff all feel she needs this then who am I to argue?

No comments:

Post a Comment