Saturday, February 27, 2010

Not Forgotten

This blog focuses so much on our struggles with Anna. I never want to look back or have Carly look back and think she wasn't just as important as Anna. It is so hard when you have 2 or more children to be sure you give them equal attention but when one of them has special needs it is even harder to find the balance. Carly is such an amazing kid! She never ceases to amaze me with her intelligence, wit, and tender heart. Anna is so lucky to have her for a big sister. There are many times I find Carly just snuggled up in the bed with Anna patting her back or just trying to comfort her and I am amazed at her sweetness. Every night when she says her prayers she prays for her baby sister. She readily gives up her toys when Anna steals them from her and just says, "It's o.k., she can have it." I had a parent teacher conference last week at Carly's school. There are 3 special needs kids in her class. Her teacher was telling me how involved Carly is with the special needs kids. She told me there is an autistic boy who just loves Carly and will come and hug Carly and not let her go. Carly just stands there until Caleb is finished hugging her and is never bothered by it. She lets Ashley, a girl with Down's Syndrome, hug and kiss her and has even tried to learn some sign language so she can communicate with Ashley. Her teacher said she is doing a little better since we are addressing her anxiety problems. The only problem with her now is that when she finishes her work she tends to get up and dance around the room. Oh well, there are worse things :) I love her teacher and wish Carly could just stay in Kindergarten forever! My Carly, she will always be my baby, my first born. Don't get me wrong, she has her moments where she is so "5 years old" but I wouldn't change her. She is perfect to me and I thank God for her!

3 comments:

  1. Awww, that made me tear up! Carly IS such a sweet girl with a tender spirit. She looks so pretty in these photos! What a princess! We can't wait to see her in person very soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like my kind of girl! I need to get up and dance every once and while too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I stumbled on your blog from preeclampsia.org. I'm also an RN, was preeclamptic with both of my girls and my older daughter is autistic. Just wanted to say I enjoyed your "Life in Holland" analogy. I also wanted to comment on this post. I'm getting ready to send my older daughter into the big scary world of Kindergarden and I'm hoping there's someone like your daughter in her class. Good luck on your younger daughter's upcoming surgeries! :)

    ReplyDelete